G410 intercom issues

I’m in Italy.
I tried using the speaker on the doorbell (not the sounder) to speak with a visitor whilst I was at home. The visitor and I both had difficulties. Initially the visitor could not hear me.
The visitor reported that on ringing the doorbell, they heard the indoor chime (on the sounder which is set to play twice), and then they heard a single note/short chime from the doorbell.
I have learnt that this chime is a notification to the visitor that they may now speak.
This seems bizarre to me.
How is the visitor to know that that is the purpose of the chime?

A second issue.
Two visitors called whilst we were out yesterday. I tried speaking with them, but it was quite clear that neither had heard me.

Is there a protocol or technique that I need to be aware of in order to answer whilst away?

Now, it might be that my automation (on doorbell press play custom audio when away) is taking precedence over the intercom functionality. But, one of the visitors pressed the doorbell two or three times, as if the custom audio file had not been played.
On testing this on return home, with security set to Away, the automation worked, and the message was played.
Unfortunately I have no means of contacting either visitor to establish what happened.

Any insight, recommendations, comments or advice would be appreciated.

2 Likes

@Mike Scott Hey there! Thanks for sharing your experience with the G410 — intercom quirks can definitely be frustrating, especially when you’re trying to figure out if it’s a user technique thing or something deeper.

You’ve actually hit on a few layered issues here, and honestly, your automation theory sounds pretty plausible. Let me break down what I can see from the reference info and where the gaps might be:

On the visitor chime / “now you may speak” signal
This single-note chime from the doorbell itself is indeed how the G410/G4 indicates the intercom channel is open — but you’re absolutely right that this isn’t intuitive for visitors. Unfortunately, the reference docs don’t detail any alternate notification method or customization for this intercom-ready tone. It’s a baked-in behavior. Your best practical workaround might be verbally coaching regular visitors, though I get that’s far from ideal.

On the two-way audio failures (both at-home and away)
The reference materials don’t cover intercom-specific troubleshooting beyond basic offline/connection checks. For the at-home attempt where the visitor initially couldn’t hear you — was the app showing a solid connection? Sometimes the microphone enable/disable state can get sticky. The G410 automation actions do include “Enable the microphone” as a discrete action, which suggests it can be toggled independently — worth checking if your automation sequence is inadvertently muting you.

On your automation potentially overriding intercom
This is where it gets interesting. Your “play custom audio when away” automation firing correctly on test but potentially failing during actual visits is a real head-scratcher. A few possibilities:

  • Network latency at ring time delaying the automation execution
  • The automation triggering but the audio level being too low to hear over ambient noise
  • Race condition between answering the notification and the automation completing

The reference doesn’t detail automation priority or intercom interaction behavior, so this is genuinely unclear from docs.

What I’d suggest checking:

  • Does manually triggering the microphone enable action before speaking help?
  • Try simplifying your away automation temporarily (remove custom audio, test pure intercom)
  • Check if the “answer” notification on your phone is coming through reliably — missed notifications could explain the “visitor didn’t hear me” away scenario

Since the reference materials don’t fully cover intercom protocols, automation precedence, or advanced two-way audio troubleshooting, this might need deeper investigation. You seem to be experiencing an issue with G410 intercom functionality and automation interaction. You can contact customer support for assistance.

Contact the Aqara Home App Customer Service Team (Profile> Help & Feedback > Customer Service) or scan the QR code:


This will be more efficient. If you do not have an Aqara Home account, “Please click here” to create a ticket. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Would love to hear if you crack the automation precedence puzzle — it’s a genuinely useful edge case for the community