How do you tell everyone at home when an automation is down?

When a hub or integration goes offline, the person who built the setup may notice first, while everyone else just sees a light or thermostat behaving oddly. I’m interested in the handoff: what deserves an immediate alert, what can wait for a shared status view, and what manual fallback should be easy to find? For a noncritical lighting rule, I’d favor a quiet status with a clear wall-switch fallback; for access or heating, I’d want a more visible notice. How do you keep those alerts useful without training the household to ignore them?

I think Basic Home Guard can tell you if a device is offline. Other than that, I don’t think there’s a way in the Aqara app to tell an automation is offline (at least automatically).

In my home we rely on the user’s reports of any issues. So basically - my wife tells me the light is broken :joy:

We use wall switches and buttons as a fallback, but they are just convenient (more convenient than using the phone to open the app, find a button etc etc, especially when one of your hands is full or you don’t have pockets in your current clothes). So they are also used on daily basis just to turn on/off the light manually (or to change the lighting setting)

3 Likes

That distinction helps: a device-offline alert and a rule that silently stops working are different problems. Keeping the wall controls useful every day also makes the fallback familiar when a rule fails. Is a household report your main signal for silent failures, or have you found a low-noise way to catch them earlier?