Heating - automations

Hello everyone,

I need a help with automation of the heating in my house.
Description: 1 flat, 4 rooms with radiators (two rooms with two radiators and two rooms with one radiator). All radiators have W600 thermostatic valve. In every room I have nether T1 sensor or in the living room I have W100 controller. I use M3 Hub and I’m connected to HomeKit via Apple TV 4K. My boiler is set up for automatic heating to set up temperature (48°C) and radiators need a pump to run the hot water around the house. For that purpouse I use T2 relay.

My problem is, that I want to have simple automation - temperature for W600 would set up the HomeKit scene (when all we leave the house or day / night cycle). I use differenct temperatures for night / day and when someone is home or not. It works fine.
But main problem is the T2 relay for pump. It needs to be turn on only when thermostatic valves are open / wants to heat. For that I set up in Aqara App automation. I set up WHEN - all the valves, condition ANY and Heating is on - this should switch on the T2 relay.



And for switch off I wanted to use WHEN the T2 relay is on and condition ANY of the valves do not need to heat to switch off the T2.



But like this it does not work. I hoped someone can give me advice what to do or how to make it better.

Thanks a lot

4 Likes

The problem may be in the switching off logic.

The trigger “relay is on” happens probably exactly once, which is when the heating switches on. And then at least one heating from the “and” condition is on (otherwise the relay would be off) → the condition is checked once, the end AND fails, the relay stays on.

I see two options:

  • you make the “heating turns off” a trigger and let it trigger on any of the valves. Then you leave the AND section as it is.
  • you make the trigger time based, i.e. check every 5 minutes if any thermostat is still calling for heat (i.e. you keep the AND section as is)

Thanks for answer.

I haven’t find the option like a “repeater” (every 5 min or something). Preparing dozens of the same automations with different time is not a good option.

Second possibility would be add to the condition not only “Any” or “sequence” but also “All” (like in the second part).

Problem here is that maybe there is no such thing as main thread where you can create variables / logic blocks and this thread runs repeatedly all the time. Because if the condition is run through only once I’m not able to prepare automation like this.

And now I even realazied that you can not set up “not heating” for E1 in the first part of the When condition. So it’s even less possible to do this type of automation.

Hi, you are misinterpreting the Automation 2.0 logic. Review the explanation in my lesson, and you will see your mistakes for yourself. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask—I’ll be happy to help. Automation 2.0, lesson 1 (continued), description of the algorithm for transitioning automation 1.0 to 2.0

One point worth separating from the trigger issue is the pump-off condition. It should mean that ALL valves have stopped requesting heat, not that ANY one valve is no longer heating. Otherwise one satisfied room could stop circulation while another still needs heat. For testing, I would use two rooms: one stops requesting heat while the other continues, then the last room stops. The demand flag should only clear in the second case.

I use Home Assistant for my own climate automations, so this is a logic suggestion, not a tested W600/T2 setup. Building on gafich10’s explanation above, WHEN starts the check and AND evaluates the current states. A ‘T2 turns on’ event will not check again when a valve later stops. Since you say the stop-heating trigger is missing, which W600 heating-state changes are actually available in WHEN? I would keep any boiler or pump run-on requirements separate from the room-demand flag.

I think for switching off pump logic you need to check all valves (not any) are off in WHEN section and check relay is on in AND section.